Scripting Getting Started
Table of Contents
Absolute Beginner Initial Steps
0. Brush up on C# and .Net.
C# is an extremely popular programming language, so there are tons of free online resources. A few possibilities:
1. Install Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022 or 2019 version. Other paid versions will work as well. Varian will allow you to install Visual Studio on on a test box or non-clinical system, but do not install on a clinical production box/server.
2. After installing Visual Studio on a test or research box, watch this “Getting Started with VS and ESAPI” video from HelloEsapi.
- Check out Getting Started With Eclipse Scripting API (ESAPI) v11 (From https://varianapis.github.io).
- Download the ESAPI Reference Guide
- Go to https://myvarian.com and search for “Scripting” to find the newest version of the reference guide .
- Start with “Chapter 4 Getting Started with the Eclipse Scripting API”.
- Continue on with Chapter 5 and the rest of the manual after you’ve run your first script.
- Varian APIs – A handbook for programming in the Varian oncology software ecosystem
- This is an incredible book and one of the best resources available.
1. ESAPI Guide: 5 Steps to start scripting, including Citrix users – A well-written, very thorough, step-by-step guide to get started in Varian Eclipse Scripting.
2. Reddit ESAPI – A great place to post if you run into any issues.